Carpet flooring is a fabulous option for many homes, but like most things around the house, carpet flooring in Santa Cruz, CA doesn’t last forever. In fact, many flooring professionals say your carpet should be replaced every 10 years or so. Now, that’s obviously not a hard and fast rule; it’s just a suggestion. Carpeting can age much faster depending on the style and other factors, like whether or not you have pets. Here are some signs that it might be time to replace your carpeting:
- Age: As mentioned above, your carpeting should be replaced about every 10 years. This is about the time that most carpets tend to start falling apart or looking worse for wear. Depending on how long ago you last went carpet shopping, you may be shocked to learn about all of the new carpet flooring options out there. Carpeting doesn’t just come in a variety of colors anymore; it comes in all different types of textures, too. Stop by The Wholesale House to check out all of our options!
- Stains: A stained carpet is ugly and unpleasant, especially if the stains are from pet accidents. You can have your carpet cleaned by a professional, but there are some stains that just won’t come out. If your carpet looks more like a Jackson Pollock painting than a nice floor, it’s time to replace it today!
- Smells: The only thing worse than a stained carpet might be a smelly carpet. Even if you’re able to clean up a spill and prevent a stain, that liquid can get trapped underneath the carpeting. When that happens, it can start to smell after a while. A professional may be able to get some of the smell out of the carpet, but the only way to truly get that odor out is to have your carpeting replaced altogether.
- Increased allergens: Dust, pet dander and other allergens all get stuck in your carpet over time. Vacuuming can pull up some of the allergens, but after a certain point, these allergens get so ground into the carpet that there’s no hope of cleaning them up. If you’ve noticed people sneezing when they walk into your house, you may want to consider getting a new carpet!
If you’re looking to extend the life of your carpet, there are some steps you can take to keep it looking its best:
- Take your shoes off: A lot of wear and tear on carpeting is due to shoes. Have guests take their shoes off before entering your home and you can greatly increase your carpet’s lifespan. Additionally, your home will be much less dirty if people take their shoes off at the door.
- Clean spills immediately: Not letting people into a carpeted room is the only way to truly avoid spills. You can at least help to ensure any spills don’t leave stains by cleaning them immediately and blotting the spot with a damp cloth.
If your carpet is over 10 years old, or if it’s starting to show any of the signs mentioned above, it’s time to give The Wholesale House a call or stop by our store! We have tons of styles of carpet flooring in Santa Cruz, CA that can suit anyone’s tastes and, more importantly, anyone’s budget. We look forward to helping you pick out the perfect new carpet!
Categorised in: Carpeting
This post was written by Writer