To truly keep your carpet clean, you need to do a lot more than just vacuum regularly and blot up stains every time you have a spill. The best way to care for your carpet and keep it clean is to have it professionally cleaned every 12 to 24 months. Not only will this ensure outstanding cleanliness of your carpet and protect your health, but it will also help you keep your carpet warranty valid.
With this in mind, here are a few tips from the experts at a carpet store in Santa Cruz, CA that will help you keep your carpets clean:
- Have your carpet professionally cleaned: It’s important to know that most carpet companies simply will not honor the terms of your warranty unless you have your carpet professionally cleaned at least every 12 to 24 months. But having your carpet steamed even more frequently can help you keep dust at bay, and can also help eliminate pet dander and odors. While there are steamers you can rent, it’s better to leave the job to professionals—only that professional equipment can truly remove all the moisture from the carpet when cleaning is done.
- Vacuum at least once a week: Vacuuming is the best way to keep your carpets and rugs at least reasonably clean between professional cleanings. Once a week is a good standard, but you might need to vacuum more often if you have pets, depending on how much they shed and how much debris they drag into your rooms.
- Clean area rugs separately: Area rugs have their own sets of care instructions. Check your labels to see what the ideal cleaning schedule is. In general, area rugs should be vacuumed just as often as carpets. Every six months or so, remove the area rug and take it outside to give it a broom beating and let it air out. Many area rugs can also be steam cleaned, so you can have it cleaned at the same time you do your carpets.
- Blot spills immediately: You should never wait to clean up if you see a spill on your carpet. The longer you wait, the more it seeps into the fibers and the more potential damage it can cause to the floor. Make sure you blot the spill rather than rubbing it—rubbing simply spreads the spill around and can result in the carpet pile being damaged or distorted.
- Choose carpets that stay clean: Some types of carpets end up becoming dust traps over time, especially if they have a high pile. Choosing low pile carpets will help you keep them cleaner and will improve the quality of your air in your home.
The great thing about staying on top of your professional carpet cleanings is that if you keep your carpets clean, they’ll stay in shape for many years. Ultimately, it’s more cost effective to engage in regular cleanings, because it’s far more expensive to fully replace a carpet.
For more information, contact our carpet store in Santa Cruz, CA.
Categorised in: Carpeting
This post was written by Writer