The Best Eco-Friendly Flooring Solutions to Use in Your HomeJune 23, 2020 7:00 pm Leave your thoughts
Flooring technology has come a long way over the last couple decades. Eco-friendly flooring was once looked at as being boring and restrictive, but the constantly increasing demand for environmentally-friendly flooring solutions has resulted in some beautiful new designs and options available on the market.
Here’s a quick overview of some of the highest-quality and most popular eco-friendly flooring solutions in Santa Cruz, CA that you might consider implementing in your home:
- Bamboo: Bamboo flooring is gaining popularity every single year. Technically, bamboo is a type of grass, but it has very similar characteristics to hardwood in that it is durable, easily maintainable and easy to install. Because bamboo can grow to maturity in three to five years, it is highly sustainable and replaceable, especially compared to how it takes 20 years or longer for trees to reach maturity. Bamboo usually comes in light colors, but can be found in just about any color you want for it to fit with your décor.
- Concrete: Certain forms of decorative concrete, including polished concrete, are starting to see increasing momentum in homes and other buildings across the country. It’s already frequently used as a subfloor in residential settings, but can be polished and tinted for aesthetic value, meaning you won’t even need to put a traditional floor on top of it. You can inlay other materials to create additional design possibilities, and use multiple different colors in the tinting process to create a sort of tiled effect. Concrete is extremely durable and very easy to clean.
- Cork: Cork flooring is relatively new, and gaining popularity like bamboo. It comes from the bark of the cork oak tree, which is found in the Mediterranean region. Because the trees do not have to be cut down to harvest the bark, which then grows back within a few years, it is a renewable resource that cuts down on your environmental impact. It has natural anti-microbial properties, is easy to maintain and is fire resistant. It can be finished in a wide variety of stains and paints, just like wood, and can last you anywhere from 10 to 30 years.
- Linoleum: Linoleum features a combination of cork dust, linseed oil, wood flour, tree resins, pigments and ground limestone. It is water and fire resistant, lasts for a long time and is capable of withstanding a lot of abuse. It was extremely popular in the early- to mid-1900s, but sort of fell by the wayside when vinyl hit the market. However, its environmental friendliness has made it popular once again.
- Wool carpeting: Many homeowners prefer to have carpeted floors. If you’re looking for a sustainable carpeting option, wool may be your best bet. Wool is a natural, sustainable resource that can be dyed into any color. It can last for centuries with the proper maintenance. Wool rugs can become family heirlooms, and wool carpeting is certain to stand the test of time.
For more eco-friendly flooring solutions in Santa Cruz, CA, turn to The Wholesale House. Visit our flooring store today to check out our selection!
Categorised in: Green Flooring
This post was written by Writer