If you’ve lived in your Santa Cruz, CA home for a long time, you may not think about your carpet flooring all that much. But take a close look at it—there are likely stains and worn-out patches. Get close enough and you might even notice some funky smells.
While you may not love the idea of spending on a new carpet, the reality is that your carpet is not going to last forever. Manufacturers recommend replacing carpets once every 10 years, but many carpets don’t make it that long. Let’s look at how often you should consider carpet replacement.
If you install carpet flooring, rarely use it and regularly clean it, chances are it will last for a very long time. But that isn’t how it is for most carpets. At a minimum, people are crossing the carpets throughout the day. All of the following can shorten the usable lifespan of a carpet:
- Do you have pets? The accumulation of pet hair and dander over the years can take its toll on your carpets. The odors pets create may be difficult to get rid of.
- Do you have children? While you may try to enforce rules, your children will often be tracking in dirt from the outdoors. Not to mention the spills that can lead to stains.
- Do you have old furniture? This may result in large divots on the carpet that are difficult to remove. If the furniture sits in the same place for a long time, it’s going to wear down the carpet.
- Do you have people coming in and out of the home frequently? The higher-traffic the area, the shorter the carpet’s useful life will be.
You might think of carpet flooring maintenance as just breaking out the vacuum or Roomba every once in a while. Vacuuming at least once a week does have a significant impact on the lifespan of your carpet, especially for any high-traffic areas. But there’s much more that goes into proper carpet maintenance. Not surprisingly, how well you maintain the carpet will affect how often you need to invest in carpet replacement in Santa Cruz, CA:
- Treat stains quickly: The longer a stain has a chance to set, the more likely it will become impossible to remove. Treat the stain immediately for optimal effect.
- Hire professional cleaners: This should be done at least annually. A professional-level clean digs deep below the carpet fibers and digs out the gross matter like pet dander, pollen and dust mites.
- Switch out air filters: The more dust and bacteria the air filter removes, the less will accumulate on the carpet. A dirty air filter will also make your HVAC system work harder and utilize more energy. Replace the air filter at least once every three months, if not more frequently.
Do you need high-quality carpet flooring in Santa Cruz, CA? Then turn to the pros at The Wholesale House. Modern carpet innovations mean you can have a soft, luxurious flooring solution without the smells of old carpets. Come into our store today to check out samples of top-quality carpet!
Categorised in: Carpeting
This post was written by Writer