In the modern world, there is a greater focus on sustainability, green products, and being eco-friendly. This also extends to your home’s flooring, as there are several eco friendly flooring options available. When considering new flooring installation, here are some materials to keep in mind if you’re trying to be more environmentally aware.
Environmentally Friendly Flooring Options
- Cork: This flooring is made from the cork tree’s outer layer of bark, a type of oak. An advantage of cork is that it doesn’t cut down the tree. It only strips its outer layer, which does grow back. When used as a flooring material, it is lovely to look at and also hypoallergenic, fire-resistant, and provides good insulation.
- Bamboo: One of the more notable aspects of bamboo is how fast it grows, making it a renewable flooring source. While bamboo is a more than suitable floor material, its quality and production can vary, so be sure to do your research.
- Reclaimed Wood: Recycling old materials is an environmentally sound process that has been in use for quite a long time. Reclaimed wood is taken from old floors, old homes, barns, sued beams, and other sources of wood that can be repurposed. Reclaimed wood is often locally sourced, allowing you to support your local businesses.
- Linoleum: Linoleum floors have been used in construction projects for well over a century. An organic product, linoleum is made out of easy-to-find materials that are not in short supply. When well taken care of, linoleum floors can last for decades, are biodegradable, and are easy to clean.
- Natural Stone Tiles: Stones such as slate, limestone, and sandstone make for a durable floor supply that is easy to source. Local stone tiles save on production and are easy to transport to your home. Stone flooring that is certified by the Natural Stone Council confirms that your floor tiles have been produced in a socially responsible manner.
- Wool Carpet: If you want carpeting in your home, wool offers an environmentally sound choice. With some research, you can find wool carpeting and rugs produced with environmental safety in mind. Wool from New Zealand is noted for being made with environmental care.
When you need to replace or upgrade the flooring in your home, you don’t lack choices. This is true when looking for eco-friendly flooring as well. With some research and planning, you can find the flooring that will suit your home for many years.
Categorised in: Green Flooring
This post was written by admin